This page is the archive from 2017. Please refer to this year’s Tech & Data page.
Contributions from Jisc
Jisc is working with a number of UK institutions collecting and using large data sets in a standard format as part of its national infrastructure for learning analytics (pdf). Core tools and sample data from the project will be made available as part of the hackathon.
- The Learning Records Warehouse, which stores activity data in xAPI and student data in a standard format known as the Universal Data Definitions (UDD). This is based on the HT2 Learning Locker open source product augmented to support Jisc UDD storage.
- A sample data set including student data, VLE, attendance, and library use as well as sample predictions. Whilst the data will be generated, it will follow a similar profile to the live data set.
- Analytics Labs – a secure desktop environment, allowing creation of visualizations using Tableau.
- Jisc’s Universal xAPI Translator, which allows data to be rapidly converted from text files into any xAPI profile, allowing easy testing of new recipes and profiles.
- Sample xAPI aggregation code toolkit, showing how to aggregate xAPI and UDD data as the first step in producing visualizations.
- Access to the API and code for the Jisc student app – Study Goal, allowing experimentation with student facing services.
Lee Baylis outlines some of the Jisc technologies in an informal blog post.
Tribal Student Insight
Student Insight is a learning analytics engine and dashboard application.
Tribal will provide access to a hosted instance of Student Insight and API documentation. The API will allow access to information about students, their groups, and risk predictions.
ICTS – University of Amsterdam
A synthetic data generator based on open source software that you can use to provision a Learning Record Store or performance/conformance test realistic infrastructure.